The demand for truck drivers in our area is greatly outweighing the applicants and candidates. This is a great time for job seekers in search of long-term employment to consider a career in truck driving. Working locally with the Women’s Trucking Federation of Canada, the Workforce Planning Board is seeking to help people who have considered a career in transportation in getting into industry-approved training to start their careers. Drive Forward is a 14-week tuition-free AZ training program in the Waterloo Wellington Dufferin area, and includes a 4 week placement with a local employer. Our program is designed to bring more diversity to the trucking industry, including people from indigenous, LGBTQ+, women, non-binary, youth, visible minority, low-skill, and/or low-income backgrounds.
The 14-week program includes:
- 10 weeks of training, including:
- info about the trucking industry, employer expectations, soft-skills, essential skills, how to maintain mental & physical health while on the road, and Covid-19 safety (delivered online)
- industry-approved AZ Truck Driver training (online & in-truck)
- 4-week employer placement for participants who have successfully passed the training components
For employment in the transportation industry and to move forward in the program, jobseekers would need to be:
- Interested in a career in the transportation industry;
- Unemployed (defined as working fewer than 20 hours per week);
- Legally entitled to work in Ontario; and
- 21 years of age (this is reflective of carrier opportunities).
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 5 or higher, if English is not their first language
Participants must not be:
- Participating in full-time education of training; and/or
- Participating in any other government-funded occupational training intervention.
Willing and able to meet further requirements which include:
- Assessment of Essential Skills
- Driver Medical
- Driver Abstract
- Criminal Record Check
- Drug and Alcohol testing (Note: medical marijuana use is not permitted for commercial AZ Truck Drivers)
Personalized supports will be available to participants in the program. Examples: a loan of a Chromebook to use while doing online learning, funding for safety boots, etc.
Please email email@example.com for more information.