The demand for truck drivers in our area is greatly outweighing the applicants and candidates. This is a great time for job seekers in search of a long-term career to consider a career in truck driving. Working locally with the Women’s Trucking Federation of Canada, the Workforce Planning Board is seeking to help people who have considered a career in transportation in getting into industry-approved training to start their careers. This 14-week training program is based upon one that was developed by the Trucking Human Resources Industry Council Atlantic and has been operational in Nova Scotia with high success rates. The model’s ultimate goal is full-time employment for all successful participants.
The 14-week program includes:
- 10 weeks of training, including:
- info about the trucking industry, employer expectations, soft-skills, essential skills, how to maintain mental & physical health while on the road, and Covid-19 safety (delivered online)
- industry-approved AZ Truck Driver training (online & in-truck)
- 4-week employer placement for participants who have successfully passed the training components
For employment in the transportation industry and to move forward in the program, jobseekers would need to be:
- Interested in a career in the transportation industry;
- Unemployed (defined as working fewer than 20 hours per week);
- Legally entitled to work in Ontario; and
- 21 years of age (this is reflective of carrier opportunities).
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 5 or higher, if English is not their first language
Participants must not be:
- Participating in full-time education of training; and/or
- Participating in any other government-funded occupational training intervention.
Willing and able to meet further requirements which include:
- Assessment of Essential Skills
- Driver Medical
- Driver Abstract
- Criminal Record Check
- Drug and Alcohol testing (Note: medical marijuana use is not permitted for commercial AZ Truck Drivers)
Personalized supports will be available to participants in the program. Examples: a loan of a Chromebook to use while doing online learning, funding for safety boots, etc.
Please email email@example.com for more information.